Bookbinding Masterclass 2
Learn to bind two flexi-cover, exposed spine journals in real time.
Ready to fold, crease, and bind your very own handmade journal? In this 3 hour ONLINE masterclass I will teach you to create TWO multi-signature, flexible cover, exposed spine, blank hand sewn journals!
You can use these two structures to make books that allow you to make art, write, and document your self-discoveries.
I'll be teaching these book structures ONLINE in real time using a ZOOM Virtual Room. Download Zoom HERE.
This will be the second of my live, VIRTUAL, full length, bookbinding workshops. The first one is HERE and you can purchase access to the replay if you'd like.
Come along and learn a tried-and-true binding method that you can use over and over to create your own personal collection of artistic containers for your words and images.
This class is excellent for beginners or seasoned creatives. I will explain everything from start to finish and give you the chance to ask me questions and get help along the way.
Once the books are complete, we will focus on discovery and creativity through a series of thought-provoking exercises using paint, paper, and playful journaling. Whether you have been making books for years or you've never folded a piece of paper in your life, this MasterClass provides a non-threatening and safe space for you to carve out time in your life for expressive creativity.
All creative and artistic levels welcomed.
Designed for women who want to create beautiful and fun journals that encourage you to make time for creativity, life documenting, and joyful self-expression.
Includes several PRE-SESSION videos, the replay video of the full three hour session, and several follow up videos describing how you can continue to fill the basic structures taught in the class. You'll also get instructions and PDFs on how to recreate the book on your own over and over again.
To register, CLICK HERE. <<This will take you away from Teachable to my website where you will find the registration info. I will add you to the course manually once you have registered.
StartREPLAY - Book 1 Part 1 - Bundle Stitches (34:44)
StartREPLAY - Book 1 Part 2 - Bundle Stitches (40:00)
StartREPLAY - Book 1 Part 3 - Bundle Stitches (13:39)
StartREPLAY - Book 1 Part 4 - Bundle Stitches (47:32)
StartREPLAY - Book 1 Part 5 - Bundle Stitches (19:04)
StartREPLAY - Book 2 Part 1 - Introduction to Book 2 (5:36)
StartREPLAY - Book 2 Part 2 - Cutting The Cover (35:49)
StartRECORDED Sewing Instruction Book 2 (32:52)
READY TO REGISTER?
CLICK HERE and go to my website to register for the session.
Let's Talk Supplies...
The supplies you need to bind your journal are HERE. That is my Amazon shop where I've listed all the items you're likely to see me using. But of course Amazon is not the only place to order your supplies. You can get them anywhere (probably in your craft room). I suggest looking at my list on Amazon first, then checking your personal stash, then shopping for only the things you don't already have.
If you have a question about whether a supply you have is similar to one on my list, just email me a picture of what you have and ask me.
The rest of this list is stuff we will use to begin filling our pages. You can bring what you have. NOT REQUIRED but things you're likely to see me use. I say “likely” because sometimes I add things here or there, but I’ll try to keep the list updated. With that said, I highly recommend starting with whatever you have on hand. Don’t run out and buy a bunch of stuff before you know what you really want to try and which techniques seem fun and reasonable to you. I’ll be using a lot of things you can make yourself and some things that you likely have in your stash. I have my favorites and that’s what I list here, but I will also try to tell you about alternatives. Here’s the list:
- acrylic paint — I prefer the Liquitex Basics brand because of how it transforms the feel of the paper, but you can use any acrylic paints you can find. Others I like are:
- acrylic inks -- I LOVE the Liquitex brand of acrylic inks, but there are others out there that probably work just as well.
- gesso — I like the Liquitex brand. Use whatever you can find, but know that not all gessos are created equal.
- rubber stamps — I’ll show you how to make your own stamps — two techniques!!!
- stencils — I am a huge fan of making anything function like a stencil, but for the ones I spend money on, I love Stencil Girl Stencils, but use any that you have.
- pens — I’m a bit of a pen snob, so the ones I recommend (without being too snobby about it) are:
- Pilot Multiball Pens –top of my list — it’s a staple in the mixed media and art journaling world
- Fudeball Pens — a really close second — this pen makes a strong, bold line and writes over dry paint and gesso, but is NOT waterproof until it is completely dry (so build in drying time).
- Micron Pens — I started with a full set and then as I run out of one or the other, I just replenish the one that’s out. My fav in the set is the brush and the .8.
- All pens by Sakura, but especially their Glaze pens — my absolute favs — I have the basic set and the bright set. Some art stores sell these pens individually.
- Uniball Signo 153 & 207– White and Black — the white is a must have but it’s not waterproof, so brace for that, but it’s great for adding the final touches to your art. I’ve linked you to the 153 WHITE version . Here is the link to the 207 and it’s kinda waterproof.
- Pentel Pocket Brush — great waterproof brush pen — I’ll also show you how to use your waterbrush with India ink.
- markers – I use Sharpies a lot, but I also really like the dual-tip Tombow markers and the Letra Watercolor Markers
- colored pencils — Derwent Inktense are my favs, but you can use Prismacolors also and get great color.
- other color making supplies:
- Faber-Castell Gelatos (I buy the Gel Sticks from the kids section because they are the same things, but less expensive). I adore the metallic ones.
- Portfolio oil pastels — don’t waste your time on the 12 pack — go for the 24, you’re gonna love them that much.
- Caran-d’Ache NeoII water-soluble crayons — there are other brands, but don’t bother, these are the best!!!
- old gift cards, credit cards, or hotel key cards.
- washi tape — careful!!! this stuff is addictive.
- collage materials — papers, magazine images and words, and other ephemera.
*Several links above are affiliate links. I use affiliate links to help offset the cost of supplies and so that I can keep the cost of my classes relatively low. Using my links doesn't NOT change the price of the product for you. Thanks for supporting the work I do.
Want more information? Have questions? Send me a note.
Hello Beautiful Creative You!
I'm happy you're here.
I'm Kiala Givehand, a multi-passionate intuitive & intentional creative. I make (and sometimes sell) handmade journals using a mix of mediums. I host workshops, retreats and online classes where I get to teach the things that nourish my soul -- bookbinding, journaling, creative writing, and self-discovery though transformational tools and content. I walk through the world as a LifeAlchemist™ for creative, heart-centered, soul-filled women who want to change the world by shining their light more fully and more brightly than ever before.
For almost 20 years, I taught English, Language Arts, and Creative Writing at every level, while simultaneously traveling the U.S. delivering workshops and presentations to educators. While I still travel occasionally to work with teachers and writers, I now enjoy working one-on-one and in small groups with students, teachers, artists, writers, and creative entrepreneurs who want to identify their passions so they can embrace their gifts and talents through the empowered expression of their deepest desires. I do this work because I love helping women find the thing that fills them with joy and pursue it without regrets or apologies.
I've done a lot of things in my short 40+ years on this planet, but I'm most proud of raising my nephew Treavor, and listening to my inner wisdom by doing the things that make me come alive. Constructing handmade books and art journals is one of those things that allow me to feel A L I V E!!! And I'd love to have you join me on this journey. Reading tarot & oracle cards, pulling astrological charts, and delving into the esoteric and ancient guidance systems is another way I help women have spiritual and creative awakenings. I'm eager to do the same for you.
I cherish every single day and treat life as one amazing adventure. I play with paint and watercolor, fold paper into books, write poetry, short fiction, & creative non-fiction, and guide women to spiritual and creative empowerment. But always, every single day, I journal and do something that I feel is creative. Oh!! And did I mention that I'm the proud owner of a fabulous collection of fountain pens? (I know. Geek alert!)
Join me and let's create something beautiful, TODAY!!